Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

The nature of things

I have been thinking quite a bit of the nature of this blog and I’m not sure that I have it heading in the right direction. Of course, after only nine posts, it’s not yet really heading in any direction.  Still, I’ve been trying to figure out what its aim should be, why I am writing this.  I’ve been thinking of themes, putting a little description under the title to let viewers know what it’s all about, looking at templates that will pull everything together cohesively.  And then I stopped for a minute, and figured that maybe after I have more than nine posts, maybe when I have twenty-five or thirty posts, those other things will become a little clearer.  I have a tendency to do that, to get ahead of myself.  If get the notion that I want to start a business selling chocolates, I come up with the name of the business, and think of packaging ideas.  I’ll research where to sell and marketing strategies.  Finally, I’ll sit down and think, wow, I better learn how to make those chocolates.  It’s the idea of things I get excited about.  I focus on the ethereal rather than the tangible, probably because the disappointment is then also intangible.

That is something I want to change, along with several other things.  I have created a few resolutions.  (Spring seems a better time for resolutions than January; it is the true start of the New Year.)  I will not go into the details of all of them, but I can sum them up saying this:  I will make decisions that enhance my life. 


And I am going to start blogging more, about a variety of things.  I am currently reading Walden, and I know I won’t be able to go too long without writing about that.  Kids and animals and house selling/hunting; all that is up with me.  It seems self-centered, but as Thoreau wrote “I should not talk so much about myself if there were anyone else whom I knew as well.”  And of course, food will often make an appearance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment