Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Getting Away

How wonderful it is to get away for a little while.  I said goodbye to my twenties in Savannah.  Lots of eating happened, lots of walking, and the delicious sleep of those getting a break from their kids, the afternoon nap.

Gulping down a chocolate malt outside Leopold's

Leopold's Ice Cream is a definite must try. We ate there our first night in town.  Honestly, I'm normally perfectly happy with ice cream for dinner, but my husband insists on something with a little more sustenance.  Luckily, Leopold's also serves sandwiches, so that night everybody won.  I recommend the Leopold's Club.  It's ham, roast turkey, bacon, lettuce, and tomato on toast.  As far as dessert, I almost always get a chocolate malt the first time I go to an ice cream parlor.  It may be boring, but I think a chocolate malt tells you a lot about the kind of place your patronizing.  Edward had a scoop of their Honey Almond ice cream.  We both agreed that we had never tasted something so creamy and delicate, yet still so much like honey.

Live Oaks in one of the squares.  The Tree of Life is synonymous with Live Oak for me.


When I go back, I think I could eat breakfast every day at this place, Harris Baking Company.  I didn't get my raspberry custard tart, but their chocolate-covered profiterole was phenomenal.


It may not seem like it, but we did do more than just eat our way around Savannah.  I have to mention Vic's on the River though.  I had pork belly sliders with apple slaw.  So delicious, need to recreate at home.  For dessert, the Peach Trio consisting of peach cheesecake, peach ice cream, and the best four words I heard down there:  fried peach bread pudding.


I don't think I have ever spent as much money on honey as I did at The Savannah Bee Company.  We were on a honey kick after that ice cream.

Colonial Cemetery at night

Our last night there we went on the City of the Dead walking tour.  For anyone skeptical about ghost tours in general, I would recommend this one.  It educated you on the darker side of Savannah's history, the part you probably won't get on the trolley tours.  I found it more tragic than terrifying, though I won't lie, when we were told we could get up close to Hag House, the majority of the group (myself included) elected to keep our distance.

Now it's time to get back to real life.  I still have my not-quite-emptied suitcase on the living room floor, the kids bag has not been unpacked, and all our projects we left behind are yelling at us.  It was great to get away, but still, it's nice to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment