Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Saving Time

It's been a little while.  I would love to say that it's because I've been incredibly busy with lots of projects in the works, but the truth is, I just haven't been feeling like writing.  It makes me a little anxious about April, when I've challenged myself to blog every day except Sundays.  Strangely, I've been reading Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott, a book on writing.  Three things have been happening while I read her book:

  1. I'm getting very excited about looking, and listening, and writing.  Forget whether I have anything meaningful to say, I just want to put it down. (I admit that I've not put much more than a few notes to myself down, but I'm really pumped to do more.)
  2. I'm laughing a lot.  I was a little apprehensive about starting a book on writing, worried that it would be dry and slow.  This book is anything but.  I have actually laughed out loud at some of her anecdotes and her sarcastic, paranoid way of looking at things.
  3. I'm thinking about spiritual things.  Not exactly sure where this is coming from.  She mentions her faith several times in the book, though not in any great detail.  I suppose it's all this looking and listening.
As well as reading, I've also been really getting along with my boys.  I know that sounds horrible, but the truth is that there are weeks where every day is "one of those days."  Last month I felt that Max and I were going head-to-head every time I asked him to do something, and then suddenly, something just switched.  I gave up trying to make him do things, and he started choosing to be more helpful.  Then there are the things he says.  His drink is "nice and cold;" his strawberries, "nice and sweet;" his cereal is "part of this complete breakfast."  (Ok, maybe we've been watching too much TV.)




Today we went to Snow and Story Time at the ice rink.  I bundled them up in hats and mittens to give them a taste of the winter we didn't have.  With red cheeks and noses we left the building, took off our coats, and have been enjoying this 70 degree afternoon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment