Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Poetry Project

Today, I found a link to this Poetry Project on Geeky Daddy's blog.  Needless to say, I saw the words poetry and project together, and got very excited.  It's a year-long project, designed to encourage reading and discussion about poetry.  From what I gather, you post once a month.  They have a guideline topic for each month, but it's not required that your post be about that, and there are no specific days that you have to post.  Sounds like my kind of challenge.  Here is the Intro Questionnaire for this month:


Why do you want to join for the Poetry Project?

I love poetry.  I'm happier when I read/hear it regularly, but find I often don't make time for it.  I figure this project will help me keep that part of my brain active, as well as expose me to some new poets and new thoughts on poetry.

Do you have a favourite poet?

This is a hard one.  Right off the top of my head I would say E.E. Cummings, Edna St. Vincent Millay, and Robert Frost.

Hopefully this will go longer than a year. Do you have any suggestions for themes?

Perhaps poems from different countries, in translation?  Or a glimpse into a poet's life, followed by a few examples of his/her work

What are your experiences with poetry in the past? Have they been positive or negative?

I have had mainly positive experiences.  Most of the time, they've been better when I've been able to discuss them with others.

Tell us about a poem or poet that has had a profound effect on you. If you can't think of a poem, how about a song? Or a line from a story?

Another hard one for me. The first one I thought of was Robert Frost's "Mending Wall."  I reread it a year ago, and realized that there is a reason we study it in school

What frustrates you about poetry or the way we talk about poetry?

I think that the language used to discuss poetry needs to be more accessible.  I don't want it dumbed-down, but if the idea is to encourage the reading of poetry by people all over, you should be able to discuss a poem without the need of an English degree.

Tell us something about yourself that has nothing to do with poetry!

I'm expecting my third child in October, so that will be three kids under the age of five (I'm excited, but a little scared).  I love to make things and bake, especially pie!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds very inspiring. I hope you enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title of your blog caught me immediately. Mmmm pie. :) Congratulations on your third babe!! Life will be very excited.

    I'll look forward to you poetry posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this does sound like loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog name! Really look forward to your poetry posts. And congratulations on your pregnancy hope all goes well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Pastry and Poetry, two of my favorite things. I'm sure I could use a little more poetry and a little less pastry :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the new addition to your family! I completely agree with you about making the way we discuss poetry more accessible.

    Thank you for joining us in this project! Just a reminder - you can post more than once a month if you want. Whatever works for you. We are very flexible :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to start. Thanks so much for hosting!

      Delete
  6. I would like you to let me know if the language I use to talk about poetry is ever not what you perceive as "accessible."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please know that I did not mean to disparage those with English degrees. I would love to go back to school and study English. It's just that sometimes, when reading essays on poetry or poetry criticism, it seems the authors go out of their way to be elusive and verbose. I know my frustration is often due to my own limitations.

      Delete
  7. I'll have to check out Robert Frost. Love your answers and the idea of this project. Good luck with Baby 3 too. Lovely to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete